Saturday, February 18, 2006

Love Thyself

While at Curves this morning (doing my every-third-day workout) I had opportunity to meet a 51 year-old member and her 80 year-old mother. I asked the older woman how long she'd been working out at Curves. She replied, "I've been coming here since July, 2005. I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis and my doctor recommended I start exercising regularly. So, I became a member. Since joining, the Osteoporosis has improved, as well as has my flexibility and strength." After months of working out on a regular basis, she convinced her daughter to join in October, 2005 (At this point you may be asking, "What does this have to do with love thyself?"...I'm getting there.).



So, there I was...sandwiched between the dynamic duo, moving through the circuit workout that has made Curves famous. I thought, "If they can do it, so can I." Through my entire workout I watched the mother-daughter team move through the circuit, never missing a beat to the loud music playing overhead. I must say I was impressed by the two, not to mention a little jealous of the comradery they shared as they encouraged one another.

While running-in-place at a Cardio station I read a quote hanging on the wall in front of me, "My business is not to remake myself, but make the best of what God made", by Robert Browning. Which, I interpreted to mean: take care of the body God gave me so that I can become the person He created me to be...wonderful. In essence, love myself.

As I've gotten older I realize that my body is getting older, too. I wish I'd taken better care of my body in the earlier years of my life because now I'm feeling the results of the lack of attention I 'paid' myself. I can honestly say my excuse was, "I was busy taking care of a family, working, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, going to college, etc. There wasn't enough time to take care of my body, too." Fast forward to here and now. The truth is: if I don't start taking time now to pursue physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well being...my physical body will not take care of me in the years to come. And if I'm not caring for myself, I'm a poor example to others as to how they should care for themselves and the ones they love. Hence, love thyself.

Furthermore, I am a result of how I have lived my life. I am slower, less mobile, less energetic than I was 20 years ago...and have about 40 more years to live on this planet (God willing). For me, loving myself is not an option; for me loving myself is a lifestyle. Therefore, I determine to love myself by eating right, spending more time with people who love me, doing what I enjoy doing most (studying the Word and reading inspirational books), and exercising regularly at my local Curves.

I invite you to love yourself, too!