Friday, February 24, 2006

Get Real

Rock Canyon Church, Provo, Utah, meets every Sunday morning at Provo Towne Centre Mall movie theaters for worship. Promptly, at 9:00 AM, Lead Pastor Dean Jackson speaks to all of those who have shown up to prepare three movie theaters for worship services. Well, last Sunday he spoke to us from San Diego, California, via cell phone. I was so impressed by what he had to say that I wanted to share it with all of you (And I paraphrase):

I had an interesting experience while walking through a parking lot the other day. I noticed a motorcycle parked in the distance and from where I was it looked like a Harley Davidson. But the closer I got to it, I realized it wasn't. It was another brand name motorcycle 'dressed up' to look like a Harley Davidson. But whoever owned that motorcycle had taken a lot of time and effort to change things on the bike to make it look like the real thing. I came to the conclusion that some people can't afford a Harley Davidson motorcycle because it’s so expensive. So, instead of saving their money and investing in the real thing, they go out and buy a less expensive motorcycle. They then modify it to look like the real thing . I've traveled overseas a lot and seen 'knock-offs' sold as the real thing: DVD's, CD's, clothing, watches, purses, etc. I visited one country where a person could purchase name tags to sew into various items of clothing in order to pass the knock-off as the real thing. Imitation items and fake designer labels are available because everyone is looking for a deal without paying full, retail price. I've asked myself, 'How many times in our spiritual walk do we take shortcuts? Cut corners?' All we're really concerned about is what everybody sees on the outside. We've got the right label...we've got the right identifying factors. But when it really comes down to it, down underneath...are we really who we say we are?


One of the things I've learned over the years is God is not interested in changing how we look on the outside; He wants and has an incredible desire to transform our inside. As human beings we worry about what the outside looks like. But I want to remind everybody listening today that God is looking at our hearts. He is interested in transforming the way we think, how we feel, how we perceive who we are, how we perceive who He is... from the inside.

I encourage you this week to evaluate and take a short inventory of your own life. If there are things in your life to which you've affixed 'tags' (hung a Harley Davidson emblem on there, but it’s not really a Harley), maybe its time to take off the label and be real. Owning a knock-off of the real thing isn't really a problem...the problem comes when you try to pass it off as the real thing.

You are much better off to be honest about who you are. In the same way, take the time to really invest in your walk with God in order to truly become the person God created you to be. You'll be happier and those around you will be happier. Because, what they see is what they'll get!"

As I listened to my Pastor's voice, I was reminded of my own California adventure in October 2005. Upon my arrival at the airport in Sacramento, I immediately noticed the stores (I felt I was in a mall rather than in an airport). Displayed in the huge windows of the stores were very expensive looking jewelry, designer handbags and luggage, and gorgeous clothes. As I passed each provocative display, I thought, "Ohhhh, if only I had time and money I'd stop and shop. But I have neither. I'd best be on my way." Hurriedly, I searched for the escalator that would take me into the waiting arms of my son...away from all the pretty 'bling' beckoning me.

While riding down the escalator toward the luggage pick-up, I gazed at the men and women going up the escalator on the other side. Many of them were wearing trendy clothes adorned with beautiful jewelry, talking on expensive looking cell phones, carrying designer handbags. I gazed down at my very casual, inexpensive clothes and thought, "I'm definitely not in Utah anymore!" I then saw my son and was happy to see someone familiar. He opened his arms and hugged me until my inadequacy evaporated. And then he said, "Mom, we gotta' get you some 'brands'!"

I couldn't believe my ears! Defensively, I said, "What's wrong with what I'm wearing? Just because I'm not wearing clothes with designer labels sewn or printed on them doesn't mean my clothes aren't nice. If I'm going to wear clothes with someone's name on them...I'm going to get paid for it! If I'm going to carry around a designer handbag, the designer is going to pay me for being a walking billboard!" To which he laughed at me and said, “Mom, you're so cute!"

He put my suitcases in the back of his little red sports car and grinned. I saw the look on his face and again I became defensive, "What's wrong with my suitcases? They are functional, sturdy...and borrowed. I don't need fancy suitcases to fly 700 miles to see my family!" He laughed at me and said, "Mom, we really need to get you some brands." As I slid into the front seat next to him I asked, "Who are you and what have you done with my son?" And my handsome, tan, blonde haired, stylish man-child said to me, "This is California, mom. This is the real world. This is the real me." And that's when I'd had enough of his 'world' and told him about the real me and the brand I never leave home without.

I told him that I wear the label above all labels. I told him I am branded for life with the name above every name...the name (that one day will be) on everyone's lips. And when people see me coming, they will not see a walking advertisement for Diesel, Armani, Moschino, Gucci, Ralph, Tomi, or Louis Vioutton. They will see the real me unmasked ...clothed in grace by the grand Designer himself: JESUS CHRIST.

Again, my son laughed at me and said, "Mom, you're so cute!" Seriously I replied, "I'm not being cute, son...I'm being real. What you see is what you get!"