Thursday, March 30, 2006

My Tribute

Today I attended the funeral service of a dear friend's mother who on Sunday, March 26, 2006, went home to be with Jesus. I was so moved by what I heard and saw that I wanted to share it with all of you.


First, there were the traditional prayers, songs, and scripture readings. Then, one by one, the adult children stood up to share with visitors how wonderful and vibrant their mother had been during her lifetime. I listened intently as they shared stories about her early days as a beautiful dancer in New York. I cried when they said she gave up a promising career as a dancer to become a mother. I laughed when one of her grand-children shared a story about how she would cut the grass...with scissors. And with deep respect I watched this lovely family lay their mother and grandmother to rest.


There's more. I heard something said about this woman that moved me to write this entry. The family said their mother's (And grandmother's) life was a life dedicated to serving others. Time after time she gave to others from her own need, not from her abundance. Again, I wept when they said she never judged anybody for who they were...or were not. I thought, "Oh, that my children will say the same of me when I am gone." When I left the graveside I did not feel as though I had just left a funeral...I felt as though I had just been to church. For the message was the same: live to serve others and do not judge them.

Such is the legacy of Jo-Marilyn Gibson Doel. Such should be the legacy of all who call themselves children of God.

More than 2000 years ago, the Apostle Paul said, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return."

Until the day we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus...goodbye sister Jo-Marilyn Gibson Doel.

PS. I love you, JB!