Monday, June 19, 2006

Higher Ground

For some of us, falling down (Divorce, job loss, death of a loved one, long-term illness, bankruptcy, work injury, etc.) can be the crisis that spirals us downward into the abyss of depression and anxiety, or can be the catalyst that propels us upward to 'higher ground'. Such was the case with me.

After falling on the job in April, 2004, I was pretty much stationary for the next 18 months and the road to recovery appeared hopeless. In the first two months after my fall I worried myself into a panic. How was I going to work with an injured right arm? As a single parent, when could I return to work in order to provide for my child's needs? When would my right arm be completely functional again? I felt helpless and was at the mercy of a worker's compensation insurance carrier. However, I survived and share my perspective on gaining (And maintaining) higher ground during one of the most difficult challenges of my life.

The worst consequence of my fall was being immobilized...not being able to get around when and how I wanted. Driving was difficult. Reaching out to turn on a light switch was difficult. Opening a cupboard to retrieve a dish or cup was difficult. Bathing and washing my hair was difficult. Pulling clothing over my head was difficult. Lifting a gallon of milk from the fridge was impossible. Everything I had ever done with my right hand and arm was now a physical challenge. But then something wonderful happened...

Through months of surgeries and physical therapy many people supported me in many ways. While some people prayed for my quick recovery and healing, others cleaned my house, brought food, money, and provided transportation for my daughter to/from school. As each one came to meet a basic need in our lives I realized I had been given an incredible gift: time. Before the fall I had been too busy to spend time with anyone other than my children. But after my fall I was given an abundance of time and chose to spend it with people who truly cared about my physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being. And for me...creating and developing relationships with these precious people became my higher ground, emotionally and spiritually!

Recently, a good friend took me exploring for Spanish treasure in the Uinta National Forest. As we traversed the moutainside(s) on a four wheeler I was awed by the beauty of the terrain we covered. Upon arriving at an old Spanish mine shaft, my friend got off the four-wheeler and invited me to explore the mine. During my 22 years of living in Utah I have never explored anything...nor have I been a passenger on the back of a four wheeler with an experienced mountain man as a tour guide. I took his extended hand and we descended.


We exited the mine, hopped back on the four-wheeler, and headed for higher ground (Literally). After crossing a river on foot, we climbed to a high spot where a cross had been inscribed into a sandstone wall.


In wonder I gazed at the world from this new vantage point...breathless from the climb and speechless at what I saw. Now, with all of you...I share the view. Enjoy!


P.S. Crisis or catalyst? You choose.