Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Grace Falls Like Rain

Today is Independence Day in America. Hundreds of thousands of people are spending today with family and friends at barbeques and parades. However, I chose to spend this 4th of July high up in the Uinta Mountains at the home of a dear friend...alone. And I do not regret doing so.

For at this very moment I am gazing out windows that reach to the sky...admiring torrents of rain and brilliant lightning as loud cracks of thunder explode around me. Who needs firework displays (Or light shows) when the Creator shows up in such glorious spectacle, making known His presence with such beauty, power, and majesty? On the stereo Jeremy Camp sings,

"I feel Your grace fall like rain..."

To the east of me is the bluest sky filled with huge, fluffy white clouds...tinged with bits of gray. The clouds appear to have captured the rain; mountain tops are visibly green and gold with foliage. However, to the west...the sky is muted in hues of gray and the mountains appear black in stark contrast. From my vantage point, the foliage cannot be seen through the dark clouds and heavy rain. Jeremy is singing again...

"I feel Your grace fall like rain...washing away my pain."

I close my eyes and think briefly upon painful memories of my past: pain from an unwanted divorce seven years ago; pain from consequences suffered as a result of poor decision making; and last...pain from regrets (The shoulda-coulda-wouldas). These memories 'play' like a computer slide-show in my head.

I mentally 'click' the close button, then right click for the 'delete' button: Grace. I willingly, desperately select Grace and open my eyes to the visual glory of the Creator surrounding me. Arms extended heavenward, I accept His Grace and sing:

"I feel Your grace fall like rain."


P.S. Let freedom rain!